The course of study shall be called Master Certificate M.Sc Nursing or Master BSc Nursing.
M.Sc Nursing is an advanced level of Post Graduation programme in Nursing. This degree is preparing a nurse to seek a career as a nurse administrator, health policy expert
clinical nurse leader etc. This programme is focussed on 1 or more of may different advanced nursing specialities like medical surgical nursing, pediatrics, etc. Eligibility Criteria/Admission Requirements:
A candidate seeking admission must:
- The candidate should be a Registered Nurse and Registered midwife or equivalent with any State Nursing Registration Council.
- The minimum education requirements shall be the passing of : B.Sc. Nursing / B.Sc. Hons. Nursing / Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing with minimum of 55% aggregate marks..
- The candidate should have undergone in B.Sc. Nursing / B.Sc. Hons. Nursing / Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing in an institution which is recognized by Indian Nursing Council.
- Minimum one year of work experience after Basic B.Sc. Nursing..
- Minimum one year of work experience prior or after Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing..
- Candidate shall be medically fit.
- 5% relaxation of marks for SC/ST candidates may be given.
Duration, Subject & Instruction:
- Duration of the course is 2 years for M.Sc (N)
- Course Details - M.Sc. Nursing is offered in the following specialities.
- Specialization -
01. Medical Surgical Nursing
02. Child Health Nursing
03. Obstetrics and Gynecological Nursing
04. Community Health Nursing
05. Mental Health Nursing
DurationDuration of the course is 2 years for M.Sc (N)
|Gazetted holidays||3 weeks|
|Total weeks available||43 weeks|
|40 hours per week||1720 hours|
|Total hours per for 2 years||3440 hours|
|1st year||Theory (hrs)||Practical (hrs)|
|Advance nursing practice||150||200|
|Nursing research and statistics||150||100|
|*Clinical specialty - I||150||650|
|II nd year|
|*Clinical speciality_ II||150||950|
Education visit 2 weeks
*Clinical Specialty - Medical surgical nursing (cardio vascular & thoracic nursing, critical care Nursing, Oncology Nursing, Neurosciences Nursing, Nephro_Urology Nursing, Orthopedic Nursing, Gastro Enterology Nursing ,)Obstetric & Gynaecological Nursing , child health (paediatric) Nursing, mental health ( psychiatric) Nursing , community health Nursing, psychiatric (Mental health) Nursing etc.
Scheme of Examination
|Advanc Nursing practice||3||25||75|
|Nursing research and statistics||3||25**||75*|
|Dissertation & Viva||100||100|
- Minimum pass marks shall be 50 % in each of the theory and practical papers separately.
- A candidate must have minimum of 80% attendance ( irrespective of the kind of absence.
- A candidate must have 100% attendance in each of the practical areas before award of degree.
- A candidate has to pass in theory and practical exam separately in each of the paper.
- If a candidate fails in either theory or practical paper he/she has to re_appear for both the papers (theory and practical).
- Maximum no. of attempts permitted for each paper is 3 including first attempt.
- The maximum period to complete the course successfully should not exceed 4 (four) years.
- A candidate failing in more then tow subjects will not be promoted in IInd year.
- No candidate shall be admitted to the subsequent IInd year examination unless the candidate has passed the Ist year examination.
- Maximum no. of candidates for all practical examination should not exceed 10 per day.
- Provision of supplementary examination should be made.
- All practical examination must be held in respective clinical areas.
- One internal and one external examiner (outside the university ) should jointly conduct practical examination for each student.
- An examiner should be M.Sc (N) and in concerned subject and have minimum of 3 (three) years post graduate teaching experience.
- One internal and one external examiners (outside the university) should evaluate dissertation and jointly conduct viva_voce for each student.
- For dissertations internal examiner should be the guide and the external examiner should be the Nursing faculty/Nursing expert in the same clinical specialty holding Ph.D./ M.Phil/ M.Sc Nursing with a minimum of 3 years experience in the guiding the research projects for post graduate students of Nursing.
Annual admission strength for M.Sc (N) programme should have prior sanction/permission from the Indian Nursing council on the basic of clinical, physical facilities and teaching faculty.
There should be provisions for the following health services for the students.
- An annual medical examination.
- Vaccination against Tetanus, hepatitis B or any other communicable disease as considered necessary.
- Free medical care during illness and/ provision of health insurance should be made.
- A complete health record should be kept in respect of each individual students. The question of continuing the training of a student, with long term chronic illness, will be decided by the individual college.
Approval & Recognitions :
- RECOGNIZED BY: INDIAN NURSING COUNCIL (I.N.C), NEW DELHI
- AFFILIATED TO: RANCHI UNIVERSITY (R.U.), RANCHI, JHARKHAND and JNRC,RIMS, Ranchi
- APPROVED BY: DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, MEDICAL EDUCATION & FAMILY WELFARE, GOVERNMENT OF JHARKHAND